We believe that one of the best opportunities for international students to prepare themselves for admission to a top-tier American university is to attend an American public high School. U.S. public school districts are permitted to enroll nonresident international students in their high school(s) for one year. They arrive in this country as nonimmigrant students on an F-1 (student) visa. If accepted to attend an American high school, they are required to pay the full cost of their education (in the form of tuition), which is set by the school district. We pre-screen students with you, arrange supervised homestays, and provide orientation and ongoing support to each student while they are in the United States and enrolled in your high school.
There are a number of advantages for a school district to partner with INSPIRITAS to enroll INSPIRITAS Scholar candidates in their high schools.
- Enrolling international students increases the ethnic and cultural diversity of your student population.
- Enrolling nonimmigrant F-1 students allows the district to set and collect an annual tuition for each student they enroll. In fact, nonimmigrant students attending U.S. public high schools are required to pay the host district the full, unsubsidized, per capita cost of providing them an education.
- INSPIRITAS screens and prepares their International Scholar candidates prior to their applying and enrolling in a partner school district. We recommend very capable and talented young people, who are intent on making the most out of their academic year with you. They are seeking to fulfill graduation requirements, successfully pass any required state examinations and enroll in a full schedule of AP and honors courses.
Partner school districts must be certified by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) in order to award potential students an I-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status). International students are required to have this form in order to apply for an F-1 visa.
No school can participate without SEVP certification.
- The certification application (Form I-17) is completed online and will take less than an hour to complete. INSPIRITAS will assist you with this application. There is an application fee of $2355 paid directly to the Department of Homeland Security during this process
- The entire application and review process can take from 4-9 months. So, it is important for interested districts to apply as soon as possible.